Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest SafeAccess articles, straight to your inbox.sign up
In this short explainer video, Ami Explains Abortion shares accurate advice on how to take the Misoprostol and Mifepristone combination for an abortion with pills at home and what to expect during the process.
Using the Misoprostol and Mifepristone combination is the most effective option for an abortion using pills, with a 94% efficacy rate, making it more effective than Misoprostol pills alone.
The video includes information on what to expect when purchasing the Mifepristone and Misoprostol pills, how to prepare for the process and how to use the pills. The video also includes guidance on what to expect during the abortion process, how long it will take to complete, as well as details on expected side effects and when to contact a health facility if facing complications.
The content was developed by doctors, in line with guidance from the World Health Organisation, and is part of the Ami Explains Abortion video series, covering:
- Understanding the safe abortion options available
- Assessing the weeks of pregnancy (gestation)
- The safety and efficacy of methods
- How to use medical abortion medication (both misoprostol-only and the mifepristone-misoprostol combination)
- What to expect, expected side effects and potential warning signs
- How to know if the abortion has been successful
- Advice on potential emotions around ending a pregnancy
The video explains the process in accessible language, so can be used by people taking medical abortion pills, or by health professionals, pharmacists and drug sellers supporting clients with a medical abortion.
For more information on accessing abortion care, trustworthy sources include:
You might also be interested in: New Explainer Video Series - Ami Explains Abortion